What Is matchmaking?
The whole process of meeting a significant other through a designated online platform is known as matchmaking. With recent times, matchmaking has exploded in popularity, mainly due to its convenience. In the US alone, nearly 40 million single adults use matchmaking platforms, according to Match.com.
Date Russian Beauty
These are beautiful women who register on dating platforms, create profiles, show their pictures, and talk to men via chats, emails, phone, and video
Latin Women Date
Find beautiful women from Latin counties at LatinWomenDate and start your love story.
Date Nice Asian
DateNiceAsian is a perfect platform for people, who want to meet pretty oriental women
How does matchmaking work?
According to Wikipedia.org, ‘matchmaking services allow users to become "members" by creating a profile and uploading personal information including (but not limited to) age, gender, sexual orientation, location, and appearance’.
Various members on this platform can now view the platform that you, the user, has created, and can decide whether or not you are the type of person they would enjoy dating. If they believe that you might be the right fit, they might initiate a conversation with you. It can work the other way around, as well! Several dating sites have different ‘gimmicks’ to make them seem unique, but ultimately they all serve the same purpose- to get you a date, and hopefully, a happy relationship!
What makes matchmaking effective?
The ability to meet and talk to a massive number of people in such a short span of time, from the convenience of your laptop or smartphone makes matchmaking ridiculously effective. Think about it: Without matchmaking, you would have to strike up a conversation with a stranger at a bar, or hit up a club. You might not even enjoy these outings, but you would still have to do it because that’s where you would typically find single folk! Even then, there is no guarantee that you would walk out with someone in tow.
With matchmaking, you can effectively cut out all of the unappealing parts of dating from your life! You could be at work, or watching Netflix on your couch, and still go through various profiles and talk to girls that catch your eye. It’s easy and convenient, not to mention that it is also extremely kind to your wallet.
What are the risks of matchmaking?
In matchmaking, there’s a few risks that one should always be aware of before jumping in. We have pointed out a few key things to be wary of.
Bots and scammers
These are programs, and sometimes real people, that try to trick genuine users into opening links that contain viruses and other malware, or try to get genuine users to download unrelated apps, with the promise that as soon as it’s done, they will continue the conversation with the user. These are just false promises to get the user to do their bidding, so it’s in the user’s best interests to report these accounts and move on.
Gold diggers/free meal tickets
By definition, a golddigger is someone who exclusively dates people with lots of money. There are lower tiers of these people, where they will ask a user to Venmo or Paypal them a certain amount of money before continuing the conversation. It’s best to report or ignore these users, unless you’re into that, of course. The free meal ticket is more difficult to deal with, however. With users like these, everything might seem all fine and dandy. You’ve had great conversations, there seems to be chemistry, and you’ll both agree to a night out at a fancy restaurant. You’ll meet, they’ll eat their fill of rather expensive food, and then you’ll never see each other again. This is a dine and dash, where that user has essentially used the other as a free meal ticket. Report users that do this as quickly as you can!
Catfishing is a process in which a person pretends to be someone else, in order to lure another person into a relationship or for intimacy, usually with malicious intent. There is never a good reason for catfishing. The people who catfish often go the extra mile, pretending to be the opposite gender, using fake pictures, essentially assuming a complete false identity. If you come across someone who you believe is a catfish, report them immediately.
Here are some tips to go about matchmaking safely
- Do not give out overly identifying information! Things like your Social Security number, credit cards and debit cards should never be shared, no matter the case.
- If you get a bad gut feeling, go with your instinct. More often than not, your subconscious has reasons for feeling uncomfortable, so trust it.
- Do not click on links to websites you don’t know about, or download apps that a user asks you to download no matter how pretty they look! Chances are that they are not who they say they are, and are actually bots or scammers. Report their profiles and move on with your matchmaking experience!
- Always meet in a public space. While hikes on hills and picking mushrooms in the forest sound enchanting, save those dates for until you know each other well. When you meet in a public space, safety of both the parties is guaranteed, especially if you’re being catfished (God forbid!).
What determines a good matchmaking platform?
There are several important factors to consider, and this nifty little list will make things much easier to understand how you can determine whether or not a dating platform is good or not.
- A good customer support system is always indicative of a good service. It is easy to create a customer support system where queries are solved by an auto-response system or bots, but to have a real, live team always ready to answer a user’s questions or to solve issues, around the clock as well, almost always means that this platform is willing to spend the big buck to make sure its clientbase has a safe and satisfactory experience.
- If you run into a lot of bots, or suspicious users who ask you to click on links that lead to unknown websites or ask you to download a certain app- You have run into the motherlode of scammers. It is inevitable that you will eventually run into one or two over the course of your time on any dating platform, but if you lose count of how many you’ve run into, chances are that that matchmaking platform is not a very secure one, and you would be better off trying your luck somewhere else.
- A large user base where there are not too many inactive users is definitely something to keep an eye out for. You can often find dating platforms with lots of users- however, they may be inactive! This is why you must make sure it has a large ‘active’ user base.
What are the pros and cons of matchmaking?
Every service has a good and bad side, and matchmaking is no different. This compilation of pros and cons will help you decide whether or not matchmaking is for you.
- You can meet and talk to many more people than you would ever humanly be able to otherwise.
- Everyone on a dating platform is there for the sole reason of dating, so you don’t run the risk of hitting on someone who doesn’t want to be hit on, like some folks at a club or bar!
- In this modern day and age, more and more folks are meeting their husbands and wives through matchmaking platforms!
- Bots and scammers are inevitable even in big name dating platforms. However, with a little diligence and common sense on the part of the user, they are easily thwarted and the user can still continue to have a fruitful experience!
- Users run the risk of being catfished, but in this modern age even this is rare, unless your conversations consisted solely of text. Most respectable dating platforms have incorporated photo messaging and video calling to combat catfishing, so the risk, while it is there, is minimal!
- Users may also run into golddiggers- Accounts that ask them for money, saying they’ll continue the conversation if you Venmo or Paypal them a certain amount of money. Of course there are certain people who are interested in this, but the average user is not.
- You run a much higher risk of being ghosted, due to the sheer amount of competition.